NCBTMB Approved 4 CEU Understanding Autoimmune Course Outline
Unit One: Understanding Autoimmunity
- Define autoimmunity and identify recognized causes and triggers.
- Explain the hypersensitive reactions involved in an autoimmune response.
- Define leaky gut syndrome, gut microbiota, and their link to autoimmunity.
- Establish that the massage therapist plays an important role as a member of the client’s healthcare team.
- Describe the autoimmune treatment protocols used in conjunction with massage therapy.
Unit Two: Common Autoimmune Diseases
- Define the type of hypersensitive reaction involved with each disease. Describe the common symptoms of the following autoimmune disorders, as well as massage techniques that should be avoided or utilized to provide the client with symptom relief.
- Type 1 Diabetes
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Addison’s Disease
- Grave’s Disease
- Celiac disease
- Multiple Sclerosis